Wednesday, August 15, 2007

China

I know, I know, I'm a bad blogger. It's so hard to consolidate your thoughts in a crazy place like this. So I'm afraid it's bullet points:

- Bikes. Millions of them. Half of them electric. Despite having huge pollution problems, Beijingers probably own more electric vehicles than the rest of the world put together. They zip silently along the cycle lanes, effortlessly, making you wonder why everyone in the world doesn't own an electric bike. This along with the electric trolley buses, and natural gas powered buses, should make this the most pollution free city in the world. It isn't. The other 10 million petrol cars might have something to do with it.

- Beijing is READY for the Olympic Games. No Question. The state TV station says so, so it must be true. They staged a televised debate between two experts (both from the Chinese Olympic committee), and they both agreed that everything is going according to plan. So there you have it. Ignore any complete chaos that suggests otherwise.

- Beards amuse the Chinese.

-Never judge a restaurant by it's cover. The more brightly lit, and the dirtier the floor, the better. Order half what you think you will need. And order quickly.

- I didn't think I was a fussy eater. I was deluding myself. It turns out I am extremely picky. I won't eat insects, bones, elbows or knees (of mammals and birds), dogs, cats, most amphibians and reptiles, most land-dwelling invertebrates, eyes (of any species) eggs (fertilised), spinal cords (or other major nerves, when served plain), feet or heads, or endangered species. This can be limiting.

1 comment:

laura said...

brilliant! best blog yet x