Saturday, June 23, 2007

Train number 2

Well, here I am on train number 2 - from London to Paris. This journey is completely familiar to me, and yet today there is an unmistakable sense of the unknown on top of my usual warm feelings about arriving in my favorite city. I have a little Eurostar tradition of buying one of their horesdously overpriced and yet strangely satisfying sandwiches,along with a bottle of extremely strong Duvel beer, which is almost impossible to find in the UK, but relatively common on the continent. However, today, in a bold mood, I varied my habit, and went for a little bottle of Bordaux, and some sort of "thai chicken" concoction, ordered in my best French, of course. I like speaking French on the Eurostar - for some reason all the staff are French, and it makes me feel like I've already arrived a little bit. Any how, the meal was, of course, revolting, and yet I still enjoyed every mouthful. I will no doubt also eat another 3 courses at the Zebra de Montmatre when I arrive. Vive la France!

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Was laughing the other day at the memory of us using keys to open those expensive bottles of french wine on the red-eye train back from London to Haywards Heath that night we came back from Paris with AS and Vic. That was hilarious - all the other commuters staring in horror as we ate smelly french cheese and quaffed wine in a desperate attempt to prolong our holiday. Ha ha.

Glad you're having fun.