Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Eventually...

Well, I eventually did it. Those who know me may well be amazed. I have overcome my own brain (good title, yeah, getit?), my lack of free will and general apathy/confusion etc, and started a Blog. Not that that is necessarily something to celebrate; as if there were not already enough monkeys typing away into the cyber-net-space, without me adding my own little squirt of warm gas to the cacophony. Furthermore, I doubt the content itself will provide any unique discoveries, illuminations or perspectives, based as it is on my going on quite a long holiday.

Ok, 'holiday' might not be quite the right word to describe a 7 month (why 7?) trip halfway across the world on a fairly meager budget. Many would describe such a journey in terms of 'voyages of discovery', or a 'search for enlightenment'. Ok, fine. But, ultimately the main difference is the duration. The idea that backpacking round the world (by train, I might add!) is necessarily a more noble or meaningful pursuit than a week in Pathos is simply a kind of travel-snobbery. Both are equally self indulgent. Nevertheless, I do hope that my mind is a least a little broadened (heaven knows it could use some exercise), and as a form atonement I intend to keep at least a some sort of threadbare record of my travels in the form of this web-log (or "Blog").

Seeing as I won't actually be leaving for another 6 weeks, for the time being, these memoirs will consist mainly of a record of my preparations, in exquisite detail. For example, today I bought a new rucksack. It is green with back straps and fetching grey piping, and is made by a manufacturer called 'Lowe-Alpine'. It was reduced by £15. See, fascinating isn't it? I bet you can't wait until tomorrow, when I might buy a mosquito net, or one of those torches you strap to your head.

But you'll have to wait...

P.S did anyone see "Hair Wars" last night on BBC 2? Brilliant!

5 comments:

Ali P said...

oh god, I think you ought to bring your holiday date forward pronto...I'm not sure we can cope with these ramblings for all those weeks. On the other hand.....pot, kettle, black....wait for today's instalment, it's a classic.

Sam G said...

Damn, how did you find me? Oh, yeah, quite easily, obviously. How annoying, I was hoping to make sure nobody actually read this until I came back from traveling next year. Oh well..

:-)

Dave said...

More posts! more posts!
I did see 'Hair Wars' it was infuriating but hilarious- there's something truly pathetic about a middle aged man who should be a builder wearing a pink shirt and sporting a trendy asymmetrical haircut

Ali P said...

I don't mean to be rude, but when are you going on your extended hols/travels?

Jonathan said...

I didn't see Hair Wars! Sam, we need an extensive post detailing Hair Wars so that the unlucky few are not punished for missing out!